Welcome to Lowell School. Our school is a lovely place with educators and families committed to cultivating a positive learning environment. Faculty, parents and students work together to enhance student achievement through a variety of programs and services. We are continually working on ways to nurture a thriving educational center within our Teaneck community.
The Lowell staff is dedicated to teaching and learning each day. They work diligently and collaboratively on initiatives that help our students thrive and feel successful. Lowell provides children with a smart, safe place to learn. Our instruction is correlated to Common Core Standards and we encourage teachers to deliver this instruction innovatively with the students’ intellectual, social-emotional, cultural and creative spirits in mind. Lowell uses a variety of frameworks/ programs to instruct.
- Writers Workshop: WW is a framework for writing instruction and practice that follows a pattern of mini-lessons, independent and sharing activities and conferencing. Our data shows our students writing endurance and stamina has increased and Lowell students have developed a true love for writing. Units of Study for Teaching Writing, Grades 1-4 is organized within a carefully crafted spiraling curriculum and six sequential units of study help instruct students on different types of writing such as narrative and expository writing with increasing power and understanding.
- Word Study: This approach to word study teaches children to look closely at words and discover the regularities and conventions of English orthography that is needed to read and spell. Students will be conducting word sorts which will allow them to group sounds and words into various categories.
- Reading: Guided Reading/ Words Their Way/ Good Habits Good Readers (grades 1-4) - Lowell School emphasizes Guided Reading and Reading strategy instruction in grades 1-4. Delivered through leveled authentic text, our teachers support the reader’s development by working in small reading groups on text with challenging levels of difficulty. In the upper grades, this framework is provided through the Good Habits, Good Readers program which addresses solid skill instruction on phonemic awareness , phonics in both Shared and Guided Reading plans, comprehension, fluency and vocabulary. Throughout all grades students use the Words Their Way program/ workbooks to approach word study. It encourages students to look closely at words to discover the regularities and conventions of written English needed to read and spell. Students love to cut and paste and figure out the intricate patterns of English Language words. This program is also adapted for ESL students and leveled for the individual students’ needs in mind.
- Math Trailblazers (grades 1-4): Our MTB adheres to the principle that mathematics is best learned through active involvement in solving authentic problems. There is strong emphasis on problem solving. The Math Trailblazers program is a standards based program where students become powerful mathematical thinkers as they develop concepts, skills, and procedures. Lowell has seen a steady increase in students achievement in math since the program began in TPS as measured by the NJASK.
- FOSS Science - In grades 1-4 teachers follow Teaneck’s Science curriculum, NJCCCS and use the FOSS (Full Option Science System) program. FOSS focuses on solving science problems, expressing understanding, and application of knowledge in novel ways. FOSS was developed by Science educators and represents the best interpretation of what a contemporary science program should provide for elementary students.
- Social Studies - Social Studies and Science are expertly integrated throughout the core subjects and adhere to NJCCCS. State standards are addressed through the use of geography and map skills as well as local, national and international topics. Teachers incorporate lessons on citizenship, politics and responsibility. Lowell enjoys developing school-wide studies to combine the vast array of topics that can be addressed in this core subject.
All of our students in grades 1-4 are exposed to high quality teachers in all academic areas including art, music, physical education and world language specialties. We want our students absorbed in meaningful and purposeful activities each day. Utilizing and aligning our work with the Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy. (http://www.corestandards.org/
Parent support is a significant part of successful schools. Our partnership with parents is vital to our students’ success. We enjoy a tremendous rapport with our parents who serve on various committees. Parents / PTO donate time and effort to provide support and enrichment programs for Lowell children. Lowell works closely with the district’s Family Support Counselor who coordinates with staff and administration to develop programs and services that are family centered and address the unique and individual needs of families in the district.
Lowell is indeed a very special place. We encourage you to be an active contributor to our unique educational community.
Check out our teachers' eBoards
to stay informed!