Curriculum is integrated, interdisciplinary and thematic. Reading and writing are taught through the content areas, therefore the concept of a literacy block can be confusing. The content of this block may be literature, biography, or another form of traditional language study. However, this time may also be used to study science, social studies or any curriculum area.
Technology is infused throughout all subject areas, and each classroom is equipped with computers. A media lab equipped with 17 computers is situated next to the library and available for full class study.
All curriculum is aligned with the New Jersey Core Curriculum Standards and the Core curriculum Standards.
Teaneck Public Schools has adopted the following curriculums:
- FOSS Science Kits are provided to teachers to ensure that there is consistency in all the classrooms as to what is being taught. The kits provide the lesson plans for the teachers and the necessary materials for the students. Each grade level has been assigned different units of study:
- Grade One - Plants and Insects
- Grade Two - Air, Solids and Liquids
- Grade Three - Electricity and Magnetism
- Grade Four - Sound
- Trailblazers Math Program is a spiraling curriculum that uses concrete objects and manipulatives to help children understand math. They are exposed to many concepts and then return again and again to learn about the same concepts in greater depth. At the same time children are expected to learn math facts.
- Balanced Literacy is used in the early years to teach reading and writing. Children are encouraged to do both, and teachers use a number of strategies and materials to work with children. Lucy Caulkins Writer’s Workshop is used from first grade and children learn to write in for different purposes: a letter, a shopping list, a sig, etc. Second, third and fourth grade have adopted a reading series Good Habits, Great Readers. The program provides a plethora of resources for the classroom and recommendations on how to use them. Spelling and word patterns are taught through The Words Their Way Program.
- World Language Infusion Program introduces children to Spanish.
- Students may choose to study an instrument in grade 4.
- We educate the whole child through an integrated interdisciplinary approach.
- We value all dimensions of a child’s development: social, emotional, physical and intellectual.
- We respect the diversity of the student body and feel that is one of our greatest resources.
- We respect the diversity of curriculum. We believe that a diverse curriculum, inclusive of the arts, is an indication of all an individual can become; and reflective of all past, present and possible accomplishments of humanity.
- We believe that creativity, both personal and institutional, is the foundation of success in a changing world.
- We seek to provide an education foundation that prepares students to be active, involved and responsible citizens in the increasingly complex, diverse and technologically sophisticated 21st century; we seek to empower and educate students to become socially responsible, active citizens in a democratic and pluralistic society.
The Teaneck Academically Gifted Program will provide an enriching rigorous, varied and continuous curriculum with differentiated learning opportunities for all students based on their multiple intelligences. At the elementary level, the goal of TAG is to nurture students to find their giftedness. Further information regarding the TAG program is available on the web-site.